Friday, August 19, 2011

Is it more important to be "intellectual" than to be a human being?

Yes you're right, well I think so anyway. There are people in the world who are vastly intelligent, scientists for example, they strive to find the truth about theories and discover things about the universe, things that are perhaps unecessary to know, but the inherent curiosity of humans causes us to do anything to find these things out. However, many scientists will breach basic morals and ethics to discover such things. For example one psychological researcher took newborn rhesus monkeys away from their mother and placed them in isolation to see if they chose food over comfort or vice versa. I know I could never be so cruel to another living creature just to find this out, it would physically pain me to do so, but some value intellect and science over empathy and compion. It worries me really, because empathy and compion is what keeps us human and without it, we're all capable of being inhumane monsters...a good heart is worth more than a sharp intellect in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment